Start Date is not before End Date
Filter Events by
Saratoga Library has partnered with Tekspark.org to bring you a teen hack-a-thon. High school students: sign up in groups of 3-5 on the library website.
Put your programming skills to the test and present your work to a panel of judges in the afternoon: The three best teams will win a prize!
8:30-9:00am: Breakfast + Idea brain-storming with mentors
9:00-noon: Coding time
12-12:30 Lunch break
12:30-3:15: Continue coding
3:15-3:45: Record video (laptop screen only, voice ok) of working demo, prepare for 5-7 min presentation with Q&A
3:45: Break and refreshments
3:45-4:30: Team presentations
4:30-4:40: Panelist review of presentations
4:40-5:00: Award Presentation
- The hack should solve problems in one of the following areas:
- Gun and Violence Control
- Internet safety in the age of social media
- Promotion of gender diversity in tech
- Teams of 3-5 members
- Open to all high schools
- All work must be original and only done on the day of the hackathon
Criteria for awards:
- Original idea
- Working demo
- Team work and well-planned presentation
- Level of programming skills demonstrated
- Extra credit for knowledge outside general curriculum
Puja Sood, Director of Engineering Riverbed Technology
Mitun Lahiri, Engineering Manager at Amazon
Jayanthi Subramani, Senior Manager Information Systems at Amgen
Things to remember:
- Be on time
- Ensure all software you need for your programming are pre-installed on your laptops before you arrive so you don’t spend time on in
- Do some planning so you know how to split work among team members for the duration allowed
- Remember to bring chargers and any other accessories you need for the day
- Don’t hesitate to approach one of the mentors if there is a technical issue or if you need anything
Saturday, October 1, 10AM – 2PM
Cupertino Community Hall
Students will benefit from experiencing the structure and timing of the SAT test prior to entering their actual official test day. Students will receive a comprehensive analysis of their performance on the test immediately following the exam, detailing individual strengths and areas for improvement. This is as close as you will come to taking the SAT test, so get some excellent practice and register. Online Registration begins at 10AM on Monday, September 19th.
IMPORTANT: The City will be hosting a bike rodeo behind City Hall on Saturday, October 1. The parking lot behind City Hall and Community Hall will be blocked off, with no parking allowed and the Rodrigues driveway closed, during the rodeo which will last until about 1 p.m. The parking lot behind the library will still be open and available, and the driveway on Torre will remain open.
At the Youth Poetry Slam poets compete for cash, other prizes, and fame while slamming their own original poetry. International Poetry Slam Champion MIGHTY MIKE McGEE will MC the event! Perform your stuff or just listen. Light but yummy refreshments will be served.
Come and give it a try -- it's exciting and fun! We'll be seeing you in the Auditorium!